Edith Marguerite Wignall, recognised for her significant contribution to War Work during the Great War, was Commandant of the Auxiliary Hospitals in Tattenhall, a village which lies on the south western boundary of the Ridge.
As villages and hamlets emptied of many of their able-bodied men during the conflict, some residents sought to galvanise group action within their communities.
The contributions of such women and their legacies are often overlooked.
Such contributions, however, contribute to the collective and diverse memory of the Cheshire Sandstone Ridge.
Under her supervision, a team of proficient VAD (Voluntary Aid Detachment) Nurses and Doctors attended the arrival and subsequent care of casualties from the Great War 1914-1918.
On occasions, Edith met the convalescents at Chester Railway Station before they were transported to Tattenhall.
Edith lived in a substantial property known as 'The Rookery' on Chester Road, Tattenhall, and during the Great War, her home was partially converted into an Annexe of the Military Hospital.
The principal Auxiliary Military Hospital was located in the Barbour Institute on the High Street.
The portrait of Edith Marguerite Wignall (right) is housed in the Imperial War Museum (IWM) 'Women's War Work Classified Collection'.
Edith was awarded the MBE and she is listed in the London Gazette to this effect on 7 June 1918.